Pronounce like "Monica" for Conoco and "Jig" for cheague.
Like the Handley Library Archives in Winchester VA, there is information in the Conocheague Institute not found online yet.
North of this place is their Fort Loudoun PA, and closer still is Fort Davis and a number of other pioneer forts. East is the Conococheague Creek which empties into the Potomac River. South is the PA-MD border.
Two Battles occurred here. The settlers were tracking the Indians who attacked and burned Fort McCord, killing some and taking captive others. The settlers surprised the Indians, but Shinghas or another Chief Capt Jacobs came and surprised the settlers while they were trying to free the hostages.
Picture of the 1931 monument One authority states that King Shingas and his Indian comrade with an English name, Captain Jacobs, attacked it with about 18 other tribesmen on February 29, 1756. If so, it had only recently been constructed or had been built in the year before.The inscription on the monument reads:Fort Davis was located near this marker on the plantation of Philip Davis-Welshman, patriot, collector of taxes, member of the Presbytery of New Castle who built the fort about 1754 as a protection against the Indians.
More info on Fort Davis with a reference in to the Pennsylvania Gazette -
There is a David Davis' Fort mentioned in the PA Gazette March 18, 1756. It is just a short distance from Little Cove On Sunday 24 of feb, the Indians attacked and killed an old man, the father in law of David Davis. Indians used to barn from which to attack the Fort which had only 8 to 10 men ion it. There must have been some Indians killed because there were bones in the reamains of the burnt down barn. Philip Davis' fort near present Welch Run, Franklin County. He was a recipient of Provincial aid. by a letter dated Feb 24, 1756 in which Edward Shippen acknowledged receipt of Orders for One hundred weight of powder and two weight of lead to Mr Philip Davis.
On July 29. 1756 the Pa Gazette published a report of a Dutchman and his wife who were scalped near Philip Davis' place, on the Maryland Side of the line. There was a petition of Philip Davis and other inhabitants of Peters Twp which reads in part that your petitioners have a fort called Phillip Davis fort of the west side of Conigogig Creek which by the reason of eleven people being killed the week before last, and six captivated is dayly disairted by its men who are now but thirteen in number. This was from sometimes in September when Denny replaced Morris as Governor In May of 1757 a band of Cherokees found the tracks of the Enemy Indians who had committed the Mischiefs near the Mouth of the Cinnogocheague which they followed into this province called at Philip Davis and Justice Maxwell's Fort and at a place called Black's Mills about five miles from Fort Loudon