The Empire Theatre opened in June, 1909, but the original building was destroyed by fire in July, 1912. The house was rebuilt, and reopened on Christmas Day, 1913.
Interesting that the ceiling picture is not as wide as the later one. Looks like someone extended the painting on both sides in a later year. What still exists in the Feltner's hands is the shorter width version here.
That picture as of this writing 9/16/2016 resides at 9 Court Square, shown in the photo below (the corner brick building which is the closed down Feltner Museum). Shenandoah University owns the building.
Something yesterday (10 August 2016) caused us to look at that picture and that moment again.
Feltner Museum is closing. And apparently it has been in the process of closing for some time.
They have a picture of that moment mentioned above.
We're wondering what the status of this picture in the old F&M building will be, since the closing of the Feltner Museum might mean this copy will be moved or sold?
"…The most judicious of the Inhabitants solicited our continuation here in the most earnest manner; and represented in the strongest light, the impossibility of their making a stand, should any accident happen to the small party we proposed marching with…"
The Empire Theatre opened in June, 1909, but the original building was destroyed by fire in July, 1912. The house was rebuilt, and reopened on Christmas Day, 1913. The entrance of the Empire Theatre was on N. Cameron Street, but when the house was taken over by Warner Brothers as the Capitol Theatre it was remodeled and a new entrance was opened on Rouss Avenue.
Comfortably Cool on February 15, 2016 at 11:31 am
The Capitol Theatre opened in 1929, apparently early enough to be featured in the June 8th issue of Exhibitors Herald-World. No mention was made of replacing an earlier Capitol Theatre. Construction cost was reported as $120,000, or $1,000 for each of the Capitol’s 1,200 seats. The theatre had a Robert Morton organ, but limited stage facilities and no refrigeration system. Joseph Nielsen, an architect of Harrisonburg, VA, was credited with the Spanish-influenced design. The Capitol was operated by Shenandoah Valley Theatre Corporation, in affiliation with Universal Pictures Theatre Company.
115 North Cameron Street, Winchester, Va. Building has been demolished and replaced with F&M Bank, now (2000s) part of the BB&T banking complex.